It has been a while since a dynamic and challenging sitcom like Peep Show aired on Television. It is not easy for the fans to get over Jeremy’s and Mark’s bizarre yet relatable exploits. Although the show had a slow start but once the audiences got hang of its dark humor and POV style of cinematography, the show became a cult in the demesne of cringe comedy. The show’s impeccable journey stretched for over a decade making it the longest running British sitcom on the TV.
If you have been a Peep Show lover then irrefutably you have a good taste in situational comedy. Here are some interesting facts about the show that will make you fall in love with it even more.
- The POV style of cinematography had been around in the Film and documentary tract for a long time but it was the first time that it made an impressive entrance in the sitcom. The makers of the show got the idea of using POV shots while watching a documentary.
- The show was titled as ‘Point of View’ for the pilot.
- The decision to change its name to ‘Peep Show’ was not received amicably by one of its main cast members David Mitchell.
- In the pilot episode, Sophie’s character had a voiceover and POV but later, the idea was considered as bummed.
- The creator duo Jesse Armstrong and Sam Bain are involved in the writing and the developments several other productions such as Babylon, Fresh Meat, and Four Lions.
- The lead characters Jeremy and Mark were acquaintances even before the show. They had met at the Cambridge University.
- The lead actors Mitchell and Webb are close friends in real life. At Mitchell’s wedding, Webb was his best man.
- Russell Brand had auditioned for the show.
- The character of Super Hans was written keeping Danny Dyer in mind.
- Jake Wood had almost bagged the role of Super Hans but eventually Matt King got the final call.
- Matt King was noticed by the casting director while performing a stand-up act at the Edinburgh festival.
- The theme song of the show ‘Flagpole Sitta’ is a song by Harvey Danger, the American rock band for their debut album.
- Writers of the show would also take into consideration the opinions of Mitchell and Webb for their storylines.
- Sophie Winkleman is a royalty and is known as Lady Frederick Windsor. She is married to Queen Elizabeth’s second cousin.
- The affirmed misfit character of Dobby, an IT worker was inspired from the Ghost world, a graphic novel.
- The infamous ejaculation scene including Dobby and Mark was played on dobby’s first day.
- Many real life experiences have been used in the Peep Show. One such scene is in the episode ‘Burgling’ where Jeremy sits on a teenager to prevent him stealing his stuff.
- It is the longest running TV show in the history of channel 4, spanning over a period of 12 years.
- On the last day of the shoot, the whole crew got to take a prop with them as a relic.
- There have been two attempts to make an American version of the show. Though, both of them being unsuccessful the third one is in the process.
The refreshing approach of the show, the impassable characters, and the unique treatment are just a few of many factors that make the show an interesting and funny watch.